Lumpia Dipping Sauce : Sweet Chili Sauce
Sweet chili or lumpia dipping sauce is for Lumpiang Shanghai, Shrimp Lumpia, Cheese Lumpia or just for any small fried eggroll.
The recipe is a mixture of water, sugar, ketchup, vinegar, chili peppers and tapioca starch or cornstarch for a thick consistency.
Siling Labuyo or better known as Thai bird chili peppers are added depending on one's preference, whether mild or hot and spicy.
To counter balance the sweetness, vinegar is used to give a hint of tartness.
Ketchup also adds to the tartness and gives the sauce a pale pink hue.
Adding shredded carrots is optional. It's merely for texture and appearance, but can be omitted.
Cornstarch is the standard thickener but tapioca starch gives it a better runny consistency and stays stable when refrigerated.
YOUR SHOPPING LIST:
- Chili peppers or Chili Flakes(optional)
- Tapioca Starch or Cornstarch
IN THE PANTRY:
PREPARATION TIME : 2 minutes
COOKING TIME : 3 minutes
- 1 cup Water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1-2 Chili Peppers (Siling Labuyo), minced finely (optional)
- 2 teaspoons Tapioca Starch or Cornstarch
- 1/4 cup Carrots, shredded
- Pinch of Salt
1 Mix all the ingredients together, dissolving the cornstarch thoroughly.
2 Cook over medium heat until thick.
3 Serve as a dip for Lumpiang Shanghai,Cheese Lumpia or any fried food.
- For vinegar, I use a milder-tasting distilled vinegar instead of the Datu Puti. If you don't have any other brand available, try using a little at a time until you get your desired taste.
- If available, use tapioca starch. Cornstarch turns the sauce into a paste-like consistency after a while especially when refrigerated.
- I sometimes use a pinch of Crushed Red pepper flakes to better control the heat of the lumpia dipping sauce, instead of using fresh chili peppers.
- This sauce is also a good dip for fishballs or squidballs. Just thin out the sauce a little bit with water so you could dip you a skewered fishball.
Return to Sawsawan, At Iba Pa Page
Return to Home Page
Return to Lumpia Dipping Sauce Top Page