by Ariel J.
One time, a friend of mine celebrated his son’s 6th birthday, they have the usual food that children always loved : Filipino (sweet) spaghetti, Fried Chicken, Lumpiang Shanghai, birthday cake and some sandwiches.
I noticed that everything was wiped out except for the ham sandwich.
That which made me think : what could I do to make this sandwich a hit with the kids?
I thought I could give it a “twist”, and make a ”sandwich saucer” but I would be needing to buy a sandwich maker for that.
Then, come Family Day in my youngest son’s school, he was assigned to bring a sandwich.
I decided to make make something special and that's how I came up with a fried sandwich : this ham and cheese roll.
The first thing I did was remove the edges of the loaf, then flatten it with a rolling pin. I put a slice of ham & cheese, rolled and closed with a toothpick, dipped in a beaten egg, then dredged into a cheese flavored crushed cracker.
I then refrigerated them for about an hour before frying.
Saraaap to the max...simut pati crumbs.
Sometimes you have to make the ordinary into extraordinary para mapansin.
• 1 pack Loaf Bread
• 1 bar Cheese (sliced length wise)
• 5 pcs. Ham (sliced into 4 length wise)
• 2 Eggs (beaten)
• 5 packs Cheese cracker biscuits (crushed)
• Cooking oil for frying
1. Cut off edges of the loaf bread and flatten each one with a rolling pin.
2. Hand roll each loaf with ham and cheese as filling.
3. Seal with toothpicks.
4. Dip in eggs, then roll in crumbs.
5. Refrigerate them for at least an hour.
6. Fry until golden brown.
7. Take out the toothpicks.
8. Serve and watch the rolls disappear before your very eyes.
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Do you have a Filipino food recipe to share?.