Tatay Fredo's Ginataang Manok Tagalog na may Ubod ng Saging
by Josea A, Razon
(Davao City, Philippines)
Life in the countryside is so convenient and comfortable. Whenever we need something to eat, something fresh, we just walk on the riverbanks and cut one young banana and roam around our small coconut plantation to look for some fallen coconuts.
One of the best viands I have learned from my tatay is Ginataanag Manok Tagalog na may ubod ng saging. Wow, whenever I remember this food I remember my childhood days.
Ano kaya ang masarap na pananghalian bukas? Manok, manok.
So my father would tell us to reach for a chicken that settled that night on our santol tree. Then, the following morning I would dress the chicken while my father sliced thinly the ubod ng saging and grate the coconuts.
We separate the entrails. They are another good recipe for Dinuguang Manok. Wow, what a great life we had in the countryside.
We could eat delicious and nutritious food at very little cost. We sometimes grow ginger and we had lemongrass. So practically little cost.
We enjoyed the preparation. Why enjoy?
When we want to cook this food we sometimes had to run after the chicken and catch it. And sometimes said “manok lang ulam natin kasi di nakaluwas ng bayan para bumili ng sardines.”
After cooking we share some to our Lolo and Lola.
Here’s my memorable delicious viand.
1 whole chicken
2 coconut, grated and squeezed
1 small Ubod ng saging
1 cup vinegar
1 medium sized onion
2 stalks lemongrass
Salt to taste
Vetsin to taste, optional
1. Dress the chicken. Cut to desired bite size. Set aside.
2. Grate the coconut. Squeeze. Separate the kakang gata. Squeeze the coconut for the second time. Use this milk as stock.
3. Slice very thinly the ubod ng saging. Sprinkle with little salt and squeeze to remove the acrid taste. Set aside.
4. Slice the lemongrass diagonally one inch long and smash the ginger.
1. Put the chicken in a big pot. Pour in the light coconut milk. Add lemongrass, ginger, onions, salt to taste, MSG(vetsin).
2. Keep boiling until the chicken is tender. Add the ubod ng saging. Let it boil until ubod is tender.
3. Try a little to check the taste. Dapat maalat alat ng kaunti na maasim asim.
4. Pound the garlic and peppercorn.
5. Add the kakang gata. Let it simmer for a while to have the manamis tamis na lasa. Garnish with garlic and peppercorn.