Champurrado Recipe Filipino version
Sweet Chocolate Rice Porridge
This champurrado recipe Filipino version is a sweet chocolate rice porridge, a popular Filipino breakfast or snack, and often served hot with Tuyo (Salted Dried Fish).
It is made from glutinous or sweet rice, cocoa powder and sugar. Milk is added to make it creamy.
I added instant coffee to make the chocolate flavor deeper and more pronounced (which I learned from Ina Garten of the Barefoot Contessa show on Food Network).
I particularly specified 'Filipino version' to distinguish it from the Mexicans' Champurrado which is a real thick hot chocolate and spice drink.
YOUR SHOPPING LIST:
- Glutinous Rice
- Cocoa Powder, Unsweetened
- Condensed Milk
IN THE PANTRY:
- Instant Coffee(Optional)
- 2 cups Glutinous Rice, washed
- 10 cups Water
- 6 tablespoons Cocoa Powder dissolved in 1 cup water
- 1 can Condensed Milk
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Instant Coffee(Optional), dissolved with the cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
1 Boil the water and add the glutinous rice.
2 Cook for 10 - 15 minutes until the rice has fully absorbed the water, mixing occasionally.
3 Add the dissolved cocoa powder, instant coffee, condensed milk, sugar and pinch of salt.
4 Cook for 5 minutes or until everything is thoroughly mixed. Add a little water if the mix is too thick.
5 Serve hot as it is or with Tuyo.
- Don't make the mistake of adding the cocoa powder
directly onto the hot pan without dissolving in water first, you will
get lumps of cocoa powder that's bitter when eaten.
- The champorado may look too 'white' from the milk but the color settles once it cools down a bit.
- If you would rather have the milk served on the side, omit the condensed milk but make the sugar 1 and a half cup instead of 1/4 cup.
- A pinch of salt brings out the sweetness in any dessert so you don't need to add too much sugar to get the desired sweetness.
Return to Merienda, Atbp Recipes
Return to Home Page
Return to Champurrado Recipe Top page
Subscribe to filipino-food-recipes.com to get access to our Recipe Index Page!
Don't worry, your email address is totally secure
and will only be used to send you updates!