Fish Tausi recipes that you would find anywhere differs from one cook to another.
I believe that is because the salty Tausi complements both the sweet and sour, so it's just a matter of preference.
The Tausi or Douchi in Chinese is the black fermented soybean, quite salty with a little sharp and pungent distinct taste.
The recipe below is easy and quite simple.
The fish is first fried and then everything else is sauteed. After which, fish is added back in.
YOUR SHOPPING LIST:
- Whole Fish
- Canned Tausi
- Green Onion(optional)
IN THE PANTRY:
- Ground Pepper
- Whole Fish, cut in serving pieces, and fried
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 2 medium Tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canned Tausi, liquid strained
- 3 tablespoons Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Ground Pepper
- 1 cup water
- 2 stalks Green Onions, sliced (optional)
PREPARATION TIME : 5 minutes
COOKING TIME : 25 minutes
1 Saute the garlic and onion.
2 Add the tomatoes and cook until totally wilted, add some water if it dries out before the tomatoes get mushy.
3 Add the Tausi and mash a few of the beans, then add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.
4 Nestle the fried fish in, add a little water if it dries out.
5 Season to taste, and garnish with green onion.
6 Serve with rice.
- The Tausi is pretty salty so make sure you strain the liquid out. Start with 2 tablespoons, then add more if you prefer.
- When choosing fish, try to get the kind that doesn't have a lot of fish bones - it's quite hard to pick bones with all the tomatoes, onions and tausi on the sauce.
- You could use fish fillets instead of whole fish. Dredge the fillet in a little flour and fry a bit, but try to handle lightly so they don't fall apart in the sauce.
- Want a sweet, sour and salty Fish Tausi? Add 2-3 tablespoons sugar on Step #3 and adjust to your taste.
Subscribe to filipino-food-recipes.com to get access to our Recipe Index Page!
Don't worry, your email address is totally secure
and will only be used to send you updates!
Return to Filipino Fish Recipes
Return to Home Page
Return to Fish Tausi Top page